Wednesday 13 December 2017

Woman suspected of being SS guard

A 93-year-old woman is being investigated in Germany over claims she served as an SS guard
A 93-year-old woman is being investigated in Germany over claims she served as an SS guard

German prosecutors are investigating a 93-year-old woman on suspicion that she served as a Nazi SS guard during World War II.

It is claimed that Hilde Michnia was also involved in forcing prisoners on a march during which about 1,400 women died.

Hamburg prosecutors' spokesman Carsten Rinio said his office had begun the investigation of Ms Michnia last week after a private citizen had filed a complaint against her as allowed under German law.

She is suspected of serving as a guard in the Bergen-Belsen and Gross-Rosen concentration camps, and having been part of evacuating the latter camp near the end of the war and forcing prisoners to march to the Guben labour camp further west.

Ms Michnia told Die Welt newspaper she had not been involved in any atrocities and only worked in the kitchens.

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News