Wednesday 17 January 2018

Video: Hundreds dead, scores missing in Philippines

Flash floods and landslides drive thousands from their homes as death toll expected to rise

Erik De Castro in Cagayan de Oro

More than 400 people were killed and an unknown number were missing after a typhoon struck the southern Philippines, causing flash floods and landslides and driving tens of thousands from their homes.

Gwendolyn Pang, secretary-general of the Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC), said the death toll of 436 was expected to rise.

"Our death toll was based on the actual number of bodies that were brought to funeral homes in the two cities that were the hardest hit by the typhoon," Ms Pang said, adding that it was difficult to estimate how many were still unaccounted for.

Typhoon Washi, with winds gusting up to 90 kmh, barrelled into the resource-rich island of Mindanao late on Friday, bringing heavy rain that also grounded some domestic flights and left wide areas without power.

Emergency workers, soldiers and police were recovering more bodies washed ashore in nearby towns.

Ms Pang said nearly 360 bodies had been found in the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan and about 50 in four other southern provinces. The government's official death toll stood only at 131 people with nearly 270 missing.

Another 21 people drowned on the central island of Negros, the PNRC said.

Hundreds were also unaccounted for, most of them from a coastal village in Iligan. Houses were swept into the sea by floodwaters while people were sleeping inside late on Friday.

The Philippines social welfare department said about 100,000 people were displaced and brought to nearly three dozen shelters in Iligan and Cagayan de Oro.

Army spokesman Colonel Leopoldo Galon said search and rescue operations would continue along the shorelines in Misamis Oriental and Lanao del Norte provinces.

"I can't explain how these things happened, entire villages were swept to the sea by flash floods," Col Galon said.

"I have not seen anything like this before. This could be worse than Ondoy," he said, referring to a 2009 storm that inundated the capital, Manila, killing hundreds of people.

Television pictures showed bodies encased in mud, cars piled on top of each other and wrecked homes. Helicopters and boats searched the sea for survivors and victims.

Rosal Agacac, a 40-year-old mother, was begging authorities to help find her two children after their shanty was swept to the sea.

"Please President Noynoy, help me," she cried, referring to President Benigno Aquino and holding a candle at a spot where their house had stood.

Mr Aquino met with cabinet members and disaster officials to assess conditions on the main southern island and ordered a review of disaster plans. He is due to inspect typhoon-hit areas after Christmas.

Iligan city mayor Lawrence Cruz said many people were caught by surprise when water rose three feet high in less than an hour, forcing people on to roofs.

"Most of them were already sleeping when floodwaters entered their homes. This is the worst flooding our city has experienced in years."

Sunday Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News