Tuesday 17 July 2018

US disrupts evacuation of IS militants in Syria

The convoy is heading away from an area on the Syrian-Lebanese border (AP)
The convoy is heading away from an area on the Syrian-Lebanese border (AP)

The US-led coalition said it carried out air strikes to disrupt a convoy of Islamic State militants being evacuated from the Lebanon-Syria border to an IS-held area in eastern Syria, without targeting the evacuees themselves.

Coalition aircraft struck a small bridge and created a crater in a road to hinder the convoy's progress.

The coalition also struck a separate group of IS militants travelling to meet the convoy, according to Colonel Ryan Dillon, a coalition spokesman.

US officials have criticised the transfer of hundreds of militants and civilians who are bound for an IS-held area near the Iraqi border, saying the extremists should be killed on the battlefield.

The evacuation came as part of a controversial deal brokered by the Lebanese Hezbollah group to clear IS from an area along the Lebanon-Syria border.

The coalition is reluctant to strike the actual convoy of evacuees because the fighters have wives and children travelling with them, said a US official.

Although Hezbollah members are believed to be the ones escorting the convoy, the Syrian government's involvement creates further risk for the US if the coalition were to hit it.

The coalition nevertheless said in a statement that it is not bound by the evacuation agreement. There are about 300 militants and almost as many family members on buses being evacuated under the deal.

"We are monitoring their location in real time," Col Dillon said, adding that the coalition "will not rule out strikes against IS fighters being moved".

He added that any strike will be in accordance with "the law of armed conflict and if we are able to do so and can discriminate and discern the difference between fighters and civilians".

Syrian opposition activists said the convoy, which left on Tuesday, is still in government-held territory in eastern Syria.

The evacuation agreement, the first such publicised deal, had already angered many Iraqis, who accused Syria and Lebanon's Hezbollah of dumping the militants on the Iraqi border rather than eradicating them.

The top US envoy for the international coalition against IS, Brett McGurk, tweeted that IS "terrorists should be killed on the battlefield, not bused across #Syria to the Iraqi border without #Iraq's consent".

Mr McGurk added that the anti-IS coalition will help ensure that "these terrorists can never" enter Iraq.

Lebanese troops launched an attack against IS on August 18, while Syrian troops and Hezbollah fighters launched a simultaneous offensive from the Syrian side of the border.

The militants agreed to a ceasefire over the weekend once they had been squeezed into a small area along the frontier.

Lebanon has defended the agreement, in which the militants are said to have revealed the location of the remains of nine Lebanese soldiers who were captured in 2014.

The remains of several people have been uncovered in the border area, and DNA tests are under way to determine whether they belong to the missing soldiers. Lebanese officials say they are almost sure the remains are of the soldiers.

Lebanese President Michel Aoun declared victory against IS on Wednesday and praised the Lebanese army for carrying out the operation.

"Our only consolation is that we knew the fate of the soldiers," he said. "We wish they were celebrating with us."

AP

Press Association

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News