Typhoon aid 'not reaching victims'
The United Nations is investigating reports that aid has yet to reach remote parts of the Philippines, a month after a devastating typhoon.
Valerie Amos, UN under secretary general for humanitarian affairs and the world body's emergency relief co-ordinator, said she had expected aid had been delivered by helicopter to survivors in even the most remote outlying islands following the November 8 disaster.
"Although we've got significant aid now coming in to the major centres, we still have a little bit of a worry that in a couple of the smaller islands that there may be needs there that we haven't managed to meet yet," she said.
"I'm still hearing worrying reports in the media - indeed I heard one this morning - where people said they hadn't received any aid as yet, and we're looking into that."
Typhoon Haiyan and its tsunami-like storm surge plowed through Tacloban and other coastal areas, leaving more than 5,700 dead and more than 1,700 missing throughout the region. About four million people were displaced.
Baroness Amos, in Australia for aid talks with the government, defended the Philippine government against criticisms that it was too slow to deliver aid to victims.
She said the Philippines responded to more than 20 typhoons a year and was well prepared for storms, "b ut the scale and severity of this was something which none of us could have anticipated".