News World News

Tuesday 28 January 2020

Two Amtrak employees killed and more than 30 passengers hurt in train derailment

The train had 341 passengers on board
The train had 341 passengers on board

An Amtrak train struck a piece of construction equipment just south of Philadelphia causing a derailment, killing two Amtrak workers and injuring more than 30 passengers.

Train 89 was heading from New York to Savannah, Georgia, at about 8am local time when it hit a backhoe that was on the track in Chester, about 15 miles outside of Philadelphia.

The impact derailed the lead engine of the train that was carrying more than 300 passengers and seven crew members.

Chester fire commissioner Travis Thomas said two people were killed.

US Senator Chuck Schumer told reporters at a New York news conference on another subject that he was told by Amtrak board chairman Anthony Coscia that the workers killed were the backhoe operator and a supervisor, both Amtrak employees. He said debris from the crash flew into the first two cars, causing the injuries to passengers.

Mr Schumer said it is unclear whether the backhoe was performing regular maintenance, which is usually scheduled on Sunday mornings because there are fewer trains on the tracks, or whether it was clearing debris from high winds in the area overnight.

But he said Amtrak has "a 20-step protocol" for having backhoes on the track, and no trains are supposed to go on a track where such equipment is present.

"Clearly this seems very likely to be human error," Mr Schumer said, calling for Amtrak to review its processes. "There is virtually no excuse for a backhoe to be on an active track."

Amtrak officials said more than 30 people were taken to hospitals with injuries that were not considered life-threatening.

The National Transportation Safety Board was investigating. Officials with the Federal Railroad Administration were also sent to the scene.

Service on the North-east Corridor between New York and Philadelphia is operating after an earlier suspension. Service between Wilmington, Delaware, and Philadelphia remained suspended.

Ari Ne'eman, a disability rights activist heading to Washington after speaking at an event in New York, said he was in the second car at the time of the crash.

"The car started shaking wildly, there was a smell of smoke, it looked like there was a small fire and then the window across from us blew out," said Mr Ne'eman.

Some of the passengers started to get off after the train stopped, but the conductor quickly stopped them. Officials started evacuating people to the rear of the train and then off and to a local church.

"It was a very frightening experience. I'm frankly very glad that I was not on the first car," where there were injuries, he said. "The moment that the car stopped, I said Shema, a Jewish prayer ... I was just so thankful that the train had come to a stop and we were okay."

The derailment comes almost a year after an Amtrak train originating from Washington DC bound for New York City derailed in Philadelphia.

Eight people were killed and more than 200 were injured in the May 12 crash. The exact cause of that crash is still under investigation, but authorities have said the train had been travelling twice the speed limit.

PA Media

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News