Thursday 14 December 2017

Thousands miss Mandela farewell

A man sees the casket of former South African president Nelson Mandela pass on its way to lie in state for the third and final day in Pretoria (AP)
A man sees the casket of former South African president Nelson Mandela pass on its way to lie in state for the third and final day in Pretoria (AP)
People after walking past the casket of Nelson Mandela on the third and final day of his lying in state
Members of the army and public watch the procession as the hearse carrying the body of Nelson Mandela drives towards the Union Buildings (AP)
A crowd run uphill to the Union Buildings after the police announced they would reopen the entrance so they could pay their respects to Nelson Mandela (AP)
Nelson Mandela's coffin is carried down steps of the Union Buildings at the end of the third and final day of lying in state (AP)

It was easy to see the thousands of people who had been turned away in their bid to say farewell to Nelson Mandela - they were the ones fighting back tears of disappointment.

An estimated 100,000 South African mourners lined up in Pretoria to view Mr Mandela who was lying in state for the third and final day on Friday, but the numbers overwhelmed officials, who had to send away about half of the crowd before the coffin was to be removed in the late afternoon.

Many waited under a hot sun for four or five hours, their line snaking through an open field and getting close to the buses that would take the lucky ones to see Mr Mandela at the Union Buildings, the seat of the government.

It was the final opportunity for South Africans to see him before his burial on Sunday.

"I feel like I've lost a once in a lifetime opportunity," said 22-year-old student Caiphus Ramushun. "I'm frustrated because I got so close," he added, saying he was only about 100 people away from making it to the buildings.

"I spent eight hours in line. I came so close to going on. Instead I was turned away," he said.

About 50,000 mourners were able to file past the coffin, officials said.

In one waiting area in Pretoria, however, people pushed open a police gate, shouting that they wanted to see Mr Mandela. Some fell to the ground as the crowd surged, and several were slightly injured. The government closed nearby parking facilities around midday because of the huge crowds.

The body has been on display since Wednesday, with larger and larger crowds trying to view it each day.

The government said the viewing hours couldn't be extended past 5 pm because Mr Mandela's family had requested that the body not be transported after dark.

Organisers handed out water to the crowds, and moved up elderly people and women with children to spare them a longer wait.

The surge overwhelmed planners, who were not able to move people through security checkpoints and onto busses quickly enough.

Many people said they were frustrated, and some said the government had done a poor planning job since three days was not enough time to accommodate all those who wished to pay their last respects to the revered former leader.

"I don't think this government understands what Mandela means to so many people," said Ali Ndlovu, a 47-year-old telecoms technician who stood in line for several hours before being turned back because of overcrowding. "If they understood, they would have given us more than three days. I'm just very disappointed."

The area where people waited in line was so crowded that it became a city-within-a-city: Entrepreneurs set up barbecue grills and sold Mandela memorabilia, including T-shirts imprinted with his smiling face and words: "May he rest in peace."

The long, unsuccessful wait left some people woozy and unsteady.

"I've got such a headache," said Adena Kahlo, a church worker who was walking away in resignation after being told there would be no more shuttle buses available to get to the site. "I felt today was my day, I thought everyone who wanted to come would have come the first few days, but that was wrong."

Some of those who succeeded in viewing the body wept at the sight of the revered anti-apartheid leader in a coffin.

Mourner Elizabeth Leening said she got up at 3 am and headed toward the Union Buildings an hour later to pay her last respects.

"We have been standing in the queue now for four hours to see Madiba," she said, using Mr Mandela's clan name as a sign of affection and respect.

Mr Mandela, who was jailed for 27 years during white rule and later became president, died on December 5 in his Johannesburg home after a long illness at the age of 95. From Pretoria, his body will be flown on Saturday to his rural hometown of Qunu in the south-east of the country for a state funeral service and burial on Sunday. The Prince of Wales and some African leaders are expected to attend the burial.

US civil rights campaigner Rev Jesse Jackson, who was in Cape Town in 1990 when Mr Mandela was released from prison, also walked past his coffin, with photos showing him comforting a woman there who was overcome by emotion.

President Jacob Zuma's office said he had authorised the deployment of 11,900 military servicemen to help police keep order during the funeral service.


Several hundred mourners eager to pay their last respects broke through police barriers and stormed up toward the Union Buildings shortly before Mr Mandela's body was moved away.

An AP reporter saw how the crowd stormed up the hill toward the coffin and saw police chase people several hundred metres to stop them. There was no violence and police peacefully brought them back in line.


Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News