News World News

Sunday 21 January 2018

Suspect planned 'suicide by cop' after eight killed in shooting rampage

Officers arrest a suspect following a shooting spree that left eight people dead
Officers arrest a suspect following a shooting spree that left eight people dead

A man allegedly went on a shooting rampage that left eight people dead after arguing with his estranged wife over their children, police said.

The suspect, Willie Corey Godbolt, had planned to end his life by 'suicide by cop' but was captured by police after the shooting spree at three separate locations in Mississippi.

The victims included two boys, his mother-in-law and a sheriff's deputy.

"I ain't fit to live, not after what I done," a handcuffed Godbolt, 35, told The Clarion-Ledger newspaper after his arrest.

He said he did not intend for police to capture him alive.

"My intentions was to have God kill me. I ran out of bullets," he said. "Suicide by cop was my intention."

Godbolt was taken to hospital with a gunshot wound though it was not clear who shot him.

The shooting started on Saturday night at a home in Bogue Chitto after the deputy arrived in response to a domestic disturbance call, and spread to two houses in nearby Brookhaven, about 70 miles (110 km) south of Jackson.

No immediate charges were filed, and Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain said it was too soon to say what the motive was.

Godbolt told the newspaper he was talking to his wife and in-laws when somebody called authorities.

"I was having a conversation with her stepdaddy and her mama and her, my wife, about me taking my children home," he said.

"Somebody called the officer, people that didn't even live at the house. That's what they do. They intervene."

"They cost him his life," he said, apparently referring to the deputy. "I'm sorry."

His stepfather-in-law, Vincent Mitchell, told Associated Press that Godbolt's wife and their two children had been staying at his Bogue Chitto home for about three weeks after she left her husband.

After the sheriff's deputy arrived at the house, Godbolt looked as if he was about to leave, then allegedly reached into his back pocket, pulled a gun and opened fire, Mr Mitchell said.

He said he escaped injury along with Godbolt's wife. But he said three family members were killed in his home: his wife, her sister and one of the wife's daughters.

"I'm devastated," Mr Mitchell said.

The slain deputy was identified as William Durr, 36.

After fleeing his in-laws' house, Godbolt allegedly killed four more people at two other homes, authorities said.


Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News