News World News

Wednesday 17 January 2018

Police to interview actors as case into Hollywood star's drowning re-opens

Anthony McCartney in Los Angeles

NATALIE Wood's drowning death nearly 30 years ago came after a night of dinner, drinking and arguments but the question remains -- was it anything more than a tragic accident?

Conflicting versions of what happened on the yacht shared by Wood, her actor-husband Robert Wagner and their friend, actor Christopher Walken, have contributed to the mystery of how the actress died on Thanksgiving weekend in November 1981.

Two sheriff's detectives are now diving into the mysterious events on the yacht Splendour, although whether they reach any different conclusions than their predecessors remains to be seen. They recently received new, seemingly credible information and heard from potential witnesses who weren't included in the original investigation of Wood's death, sheriff's lieutenant John Corina said.

But he said nothing has happened to change the official view that Wood's death was originally an accidental drowning. Mr Wagner, the former star of 'Hart to Hart', is not considered a suspect, he added.

Mr Corina released few details about who investigators have contacted or plan to re-interview, but the inquiry will certainly lead them to speak with the three survivors of the trip -- Mr Wagner, Mr Walken and the yacht skipper, Dennis Davern.

Wood's sister, Lana, was not on the boat, but told CNN's Piers Morgan on Friday that she has spoken with Mr Davern many times and believes her sister did not fall off the boat.

"I don't think she fell, I don't know if she was pushed, I don't know whether there was an altercation and it happened accidentally but she shouldn't have died and that does stay with me and hurt," Ms Wood said.

"I would prefer to always believe that RJ (Mr Wagner) would never do anything to hurt Natalie and that he loved her dearly, which he did, and I don't believe that whatever went on was deliberate. I've always cared about him. I always will care about him," she said.


Mr Davern said on NBC television's 'Today' on Friday that Mr Wagner is to blame for the Oscar-nominated actress's death in the chilly waters off Southern California in November 1981, but didn't offer many specifics. For years he has maintained that he heard the famous couple arguing on the boat before Wood went missing and Mr Wagner refusing to immediately search the waters nearby for his wife.

Mr Davern's account is dramatically different from what he told investigators after Wood's body was found in 1981, when no mention of an argument between the couple was made. Wood was wearing a nightgown, wool socks and red down coat when she was found floating off Santa Catalina Island.

The renewed investigation comes at a time when plenty of attention was sure to be focused on Wood, whose beauty and acting in films such as 'West Side Story' and 'Rebel Without a Cause' made her Hollywood royalty.

Sheriff's officials denied that renewed attention prompted their review, which could take months. The Splendour is currently docked in Hawaii, where it's used for charter cruises. Los Angeles Sheriff's Department officials said they will travel to Hawaii to look at the boat as part of their investigation.

Mr Davern and Mr Wagner agree on one point about the fateful night -- there was a heated argument on the yacht after the group returned from dinner on Catalina. All had been drinking, and here is where the three men's accounts begin to differ.

Mr Davern said he heard Mr Wagner and Wood arguing and its outcome had horrific consequences.

Mr Wagner acknowledges a fight took place on the Splendour, but in his best-selling 2008 memoir, 'Pieces of My Heart', he wrote that the fighting was between him and Mr Walken.

The disagreement began over the acting profession and led to Wood retreating to her cabin, while the dispute raged on between mr Wagner and Mr Walken.

Later Mr Walken went to bed, according to Mr Wagner, who, after staying up with Mr Davern for a while, went looking for his wife and couldn't find her on board. He then noticed that a dinghy attached to the boat -- and his wife -- was gone.

Mr Walken, who has rarely spoken about the events that led to Wood's death, denied in a 1982 interview on 'Good Morning America' that he and Mr Wagner quarrelled.

But Mr Walken told sheriff's detectives that there was an argument, according to a 2000 'Vanity Fair' piece that included statements from a report by the investigating detective.

The detective, Mr Wagner and Mr Walken and coroner's officials all have maintained that Wood's death was an accident, possibly caused by her trying to secure the dinghy to the yacht.

Mr Wagner said through a spokesman that his family trusts the sheriff's department to conduct a fair investigation into Wood's death.

The couple was married twice, first in 1957 before divorcing six years later. They remarried in 1972.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News