News World News

Saturday 25 January 2020

Pencilled in for op

German doctors have said a man spent 15 years with a 10cm pencil in his head. Aachen University Hospital said the 24-year-old man from Afghanistan sought help in 2011 after suffering from headaches, constant colds and worsening vision in one eye.

The unnamed man said he didn't know how the pencil got there but recalled that he once fell badly as a child. The doctors removed the pencil.

An Ikea advert showing a couple using increasingly violent methods to kill off garden gnomes has drawn dozens of complaints from viewers.

The homeware giant's 'Say No To Gnomes' campaign features a family updating the look of their garden with new products, only to find the upset gnomes launching a revenge attack.

RETURN TO LENDER

A business group which gave Spain's King Juan Carlos a luxury yacht want it back now he has said he will not be using it any more.

The Balearic Islands' Fundatur foundation has asked the National Heritage Department to return the 135ft Fortuna they gave the king in 2000. The king's decision was seen as belt-tightening measure as Spain braves an economic crisis.

BIBLICAL CHEERLEADERS

A Texas school district is appealing against a court ruling that allowed high school cheerleaders to display banners emblazoned with Bible verses at football games.

The Kountze district said that state district judge Steve Thomas ruled the banners were allowed under the US Constitution but stopped short of saying the cheerleaders had a free-speech right to them.

MICHAEL RECOVERING

Singer George Michael has left hospital after being treated for injuries following a bizarre incident on the M1 motorway.

The star was airlifted to hospital with a head injury after falling from his vehicle on to the road earlier this month, although his publicist Connie Filipello initially said his injuries were "superficial cuts and bruises".

MENDES IN 007 TALKS

Film-maker Sam Mendes could be heading back to Bond, despite saying he would not sign up to make the next film after his success with 'Skyfall'.

The Oscar-winner originally turned down the chance to make the next instalment in 007's adventures to concentrate on his theatre work, but is now believed to be back in discussions with producers.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News