News World News

Monday 18 November 2019

Office raid in search for man who took Kate snaps

Prince William and his wife Kate on the Solomon Islands.
Prince William and his wife Kate on the Solomon Islands.
French lawyer Delphine Pando: Police raided the Paris headquarters of the French magazine yesterday

Gordon Rayner in Brisbane

POLICE raided the Paris headquarters of the French magazine yesterday 'Closer' as they hunted the photographer who captured the Duchess of Cambridge topless.

Detectives confirmed that they were looking for information "which might lead to the identity" of the paparazzo responsible.

The investigation was launched by prosecutors in the French capital on Monday. Prince William and his wife Kate later won an injunction preventing further distribution of the images.

But Christophe Bigot, a barrister who specialises in media law, questioned the legality of the police raid.

The confidentiality of journalistic sources, which include photographers, are strictly protected by French law.

"In the case of William and Kate, I do not see how a prosecutor could justify a search of 'Closer'," Mr Bigot told the newspaper 'Le Figaro'.

On Tuesday, judges ordered 'Closer' to hand over all files containing the images to representatives of the couple within 24 hours, but there was no order to name the photographer.

Topless

But the controversy shows no signs of ending as a Swedish magazine also published the topless photos of Kate yesterday and its sister publication in Denmark said it would do the same later this week.

"It is nothing new to us to publish nude photos of celebrities on holiday," said Carina Lofkvist, the chief editor of the Swedish magazine.

She said actresses Demi Moore and Sharon Stone have done it and model Kate Moss have previously appeared half-naked in the magazine.

Meanwhile, the royal couple's nine-day South Pacific tour came to an end in Australia yesterday. Kate spent less than three hours on Australian soil on her first visit to the country.

The duke and duchess, on their way home from their overseas tour, were met in Brisbane by British consular staff who had placed a small square of red carpet on the runway.

Once at their terminal, the duke, who has been to Australia several times, and his wife delighted travellers by walking through a public area on their way to a VIP suite.

As they came up an escalator into departures, surprised passengers scrabbled for their cameras as the couple waved and the duke shook hands with a young boy.

Among those taking pictures of the duchess was Shelley Jelonek (35), an Australian who was also on her way to London. She said of the duchess: "She looked amazing, she is so graceful."

Members of her family had come to the airport to see her off, including her nephew Cameron Young (11), who had taken the day off school.

Ms Jelonek said Cameron thought the duke was "really cool". She added: "The kids were really excited to see royalty in real life. The royal family is going through a resurgence in popularity here, mainly because of those two."

Earlier in the day the royal couple were presented with models of a traditional canoe and house by islanders in Tuvalu as they left the final stop of their tour.

A royal source said the couple had thoroughly enjoyed the voyage, adding: "They had one objective -- to celebrate the queen's diamond jubilee.

"It's not for us to judge whether that was a success or not. From their point of view they felt able to do her life, and the diversity of the nations she represents, justice." (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News