News World News

Saturday 24 February 2018

North Korean top official dies in traffic accident

A top official in North Korea has died in a traffic accident, reports said
A top official in North Korea has died in a traffic accident, reports said

A top official in North Korea, who was in charge of relations with South Korea, has died in a traffic accident, according to state media in the country.

Kim Yang Gon, 73, was head of the United Front Department at the ruling Workers' Party, the Korean Central News Agency reported. It said a state funeral will be held on Thursday.

While North Korea's road conditions are poor, the lack of detail helped feed speculation in South Korean media that his death was suspicious, though South Korean officials declined to comment.

Similar speculation arose in past years following reported traffic deaths of high-level North Korean officials.

Before his death, there had been no signs that Kim was engaged in any major factional feuding with other officials. He was among officials who most frequently accompanied Kim Jong Un during his inspection visits to army units and factories, a strong indication that he was one of the leader's trusted aides.

The reports described him as the leader's "closest comrade-in-arms and steadfast revolutionary comrade" who had made "dedicated" efforts to push for unification with South Korea.

Analysts in Seoul said strained ties between the rival Koreas could continue following the unexpected death of Kim, who had long handled relations with South Korea. The KCNA did not say who would replace him. Earlier this month, the rival Koreas ended rare high-level talks without any agreement.

"I worry that we cannot avoid long suspension of a dialogue between South and North Korea" following Kim's death, said Cheong Seong-chang, at the private Sejong Institute in South Korea.

In August, Kim attended marathon talks at the Korean border that defused a military stand-off triggered by land mine explosions blamed on Pyongyang that maimed two South Korean soldiers.

The two Koreas subsequently resumed their first reunions of families separated by war since early 2014, but hopes of improved ties subsided after this month's inter-Korean talks failed to reach any breakthrough.

South Korea's Unification Minister Hong Yong-pyo sent condolences. South Korea has previously offered similar condolences when senior North Korean officials died.

Kim visited South Korea in 2009 to pay his respects to late president Kim Dae-jung, who held the first inter-Korean summit with Kim Jong Il in 2000. He was believed to have played a key role in arranging a second summit in 2007. Most rapprochement agreements signed after the two summit talks remain stalled or have never been implemented after animosities flared again between the rivals.

The Korean Peninsula remains in a technical state of war since the 1950-53 Korean War ended with an armistice, not a peace treaty.

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News