Sunday 17 December 2017

Woman and daughter (3) 'died after inhaling deadly hydrogen sulfide while driving along highway'

(Photo: Facebook/WFTV)
(Photo: Facebook/WFTV)
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

A woman and her daughter are suspected to have died from inhaling a toxic gas in their car after they were found dead.

The pair were discovered in the vehicle along one of Florida's main highways, the Florida Turnpike.

Medical officials said they suspect hydrogen sulfide poisoning caused the deaths of the mum Latifa Lincoln (46) and Maksmilla Lincoln (3).

WESH-TCV reported that the coroners discovered high levels of the flammable gas that smells like rotten eggs in the urine of the victims.

Authorities believe it is likely that the gas was from the car's defective battery, which was not the original battery for the SUV.

“It’s unprecedented. I haven’t been able to find another case,” assistant Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner told WESH.

The pair were discovered motionless in the car in early June.

The car was still running and the radio was still on. A "foul caustic chemical odour" was also reported at the scene.

Investigators originally tested the car for carbon monoxide levels, before they were pointed towards evidence of hydrogen sulfide.

Hydrogen sulfide typically forms in energy refineries, mills, food processing plants, underground sewer pipes, manure pits and industrial lift stations.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News