Tuesday 20 February 2018

Warning graphic images: Hunter survives two 'ferocious' bear attacks

Todd Orr shared details of the bear attack on Facebook Credit: Facebook / Todd Orr
Todd Orr shared details of the bear attack on Facebook Credit: Facebook / Todd Orr

Mark Molloy

A hiker who survived two grizzly bear attacks just minutes apart and shared the details of his 'lucky' escape on Facebook admits he is 'thankful' to still be alive.

Montana man Todd Orr posted a video and photos of his injuries on the social network after being mauled by the same bear in two separate attacks.

Posted by Todd Orr on Sunday, October 2, 2016

The 50-year-old was scouting for elk in Madison County on October 1 when a bear protecting her two cubs charged, jumped on him and began biting his neck.

“I gave her a full charge of bear spray at about 25 feet,” he explained in a Facebook post. “Her momentum carried her right through the orange mist and on me.

“I went to my face in the dirt and wrapped my arms around the back of my neck for protection. She was on top of me biting my arms, shoulders and backpack. The force of each bite was like a sledge hammer with teeth. She would stop for a few seconds and then bite again. Over and over. After a couple minutes, but what seemed an eternity, she disappeared.”

A stunned Mr Orr added he “had numerous bleeding puncture wounds” after the first attack but was able to walk and started to head back to the safety of his truck three miles away.

Posted by Todd Orr on Sunday, October 2, 2016

However minutes later he saw the bear again and faced another attack, explaining: “She slammed down on top of me and bit my shoulder and arms again.

“One bite on my forearm went through to the bone and I heard a crunch. My hand instantly went numb and wrist and fingers were limp and unusable. The sudden pain made me flinch and gasp for breath. The sound triggered a frenzy of bites to my shoulder and upper back. I knew I couldn't move or make a sound again so I huddled motionless.

Grizzly 10/1/16 Hello everyone. Thought I should share yesterday morning's Grizzly incident. I took an early morning...

Posted by Todd Orr on Sunday, October 2, 2016

“Another couple bites to my head and a gash opened above my ear, nearly scalping me. The blood gushed over my face and into my eyes. I didn't move. I thought this was the end. She would eventually hit an artery in my neck and I would bleed out in the trail... But I knew that moving would trigger more bites so a laid motionless hoping it would end.”

Thankfully, the attack did end and he once again began making his way back to his truck, stopping a hiker along the way who called the hospital. Mr Orr then made a 911 call and drove 17 miles to the hospital.

“The X-rays revealed only a chip out of the ulna bone in my forearm. Following was eight hours of stitching to put me back together. Most were arm and shoulder punctures and tears,” he added.

“Not my best day, but I'm alive. So thankful I'm here to share with all of you.”

Madison County Sheriff Roger Thompson told the Montana Standard: "I think he should go out and buy a lottery ticket now."


Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News