Tuesday 17 July 2018

Three people, including boy (11), died from carbon monoxide poisoning weeks apart at popular hotel resort

Jeannie and Jeffrey Lee Williams Photo: Jeffreysfoundation.org
Jeannie and Jeffrey Lee Williams Photo: Jeffreysfoundation.org
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Three people, including an 11-year-old boy, died from carbon monoxide poisoning weeks apart at a popular hotel resort in North Carolina.

Jeffrey Williams (11) reportedly died from carbon monoxide coming from a leak at a pool heating system at the North Carolina Best Western hotel in 2013, according to the Charlotte Observer.

His mother, Jeannie Williams, also suffered from serious injuries.

Just six weeks earlier, Daryl and Shirley Jenkins had died in the same room, but officials didn’t immediately identify carbon monoxide as the cause of death.

A Best Western spokeswoman told the Charlotte Observer that the chain denies liability, but has thoughts and prayers for the family and friends of those affected.

Lawyers for the family of Jeffrey Williams said they have agreed to settle wrongful death and injury lawsuits.

The family’s legal team said in a news release Monday that they agreed to settle the suits against the hotel chain and other parties for $12 million.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News