| 11.8°C Dublin

Teen 'raped by high school footballer at party' speaks out for the first time


Savannah speaks to ABC's 20/20

Savannah speaks to ABC's 20/20

Savannah speaks to ABC's 20/20

A teenager who claimed she was raped by a high school football star has spoken out for the first time.

Savannah (17) spoke to ABC's 20/20 about the night she was allegedly raped by high school student Cameron Harrison in October 2015.

The teenage girl, who was 16 at the time of the incident, claims she was attacked by the then 18-year-old while she was drunk at a house party.

Cameron pleaded not guilty to the charge in July 2016, but since took a plea as the case was settled in secret under the youthful offender status.

Savannah said she feels like she was "taken advantage of" during the party.

Speaking in the interview, she said; "It's like I wasn’t even in my body. It’s like my head was telling me like something’s not right, but I feel myself kind of fading out, like you know, from having control of myself."

Savannah said she woke up the following morning and felt "disgusted" because she knew she had been very drunk and couldn't remember everything.

A friend told her later that day that they knew she had gone to sleep in an upstairs bedroom, but later found a naked Harrison in the room 15 minutes later.

A teacher raised the alarm after she overheard Savannah and her friends Googling the definition of 'rape' online.

"I used to think that I was you know, weak, dramatic, too emotional, you know, couldn’t handle anything, and then going through this, I’ve realized how strong I really am and that I underestimated myself the whole time," she told the news programme.

The case divided the small Alabama town, with many vilifying Savannah on social media and wearing Cameron's jersey's number four in solidarity with the teen.

Cameron was suspended from his football team. He reportedly admitted to having sex with Savannah.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

He was released on bail but was suspended from his football team. He allegedly admitted to having sex with the girl and apologized to her family.

"[He said] he only did our daughter for five minutes… only five minutes," her father told the programme.

"I told him to get the f**k off my property."

ABC said Cameron cannot legally comment on the case.

Most Watched