| 17.2°C Dublin

Teen contracted flesh-eating parasite after being buried in the sand by friends on beach trip

 

Close

(Stock picture)

(Stock picture)

(Stock picture)

A teenager who was buried in the sand by friends while on a day out at the beach has contracted a flesh-eating parasite as a result, according to his mother.

Michael Dumas (17) from Memphis Tennessee was on a mission trip with his church in Florida when a group of friends took time out to relax on a South Florida beach.

However, days later swelling and lumps appeared on the boy’s skin and it was discovered he had contracted Hookwork, a parasite usually found in the intestines of animals.

In a post on Facebook, the boy’s mother Kelli reacted to the infection describing it as “disturbing” and warning people of the danger of contracting the parasite.

“He was buried in the sand for fun and it has become our nightmare. Four of our people contracted a parasitic infection, hookworms, from the Pompano Beach,” she said.

“Michael has the worst case by far… We have been to the paediatrician 4 times, to a dermatologist and have a follow up appointment today. He is in pain and this is AWFUL.

“Never be buried in the sand or allow your children to be either. I am only showing a few pictures because it is so disturbing,”she wrote.

 

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

The Tennessee mother said she contacted the health department who told her it was common knowledge that parasites can be contracted from beaches.

Hookworm infections of this kind are usually a result of walking barefoot on contaminated soil.


Most Watched





Privacy