Monday 17 December 2018

Commander in chief forced to put his military parade on hold as cost rockets

US President Donald Trump. Photo: AP
US President Donald Trump. Photo: AP

A military parade ordered by US President Donald Trump for later this year has been postponed until at least 2019, following reports the cost had soared to more than $90m (€79m).

The announcement was seen as a setback for the president, who had ordered the show of hardware after being impressed by France's Bastille Day parade last year.

The idea had been popular among many Americans but critics attacked it as a waste of money and akin to events organised by authoritarian regimes.

"The Department of Defence and White House have been planning a parade to honour America's military veterans and commemorate the centennial of World War I," said Colonel Rob Manning, a Pentagon spokesman.

"We originally targeted November 10, 2018, for this event but have now agreed to explore opportunities in 2019."

The White House budget director said it would cost between $10m (€8.7) and $30m (€26.3m). But a US official said the planning estimate had now gone as high as $92m.

In July 2017, watching from the Champs-Elysées alongside President Emmanuel Macron, the US commander in chief had marvelled at the Republican Guard on horseback and jets flying overhead.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News