Tuesday 20 February 2018

Parents of girl (11) who choked to death on marshmallow at birthday party sue hosts

Azriel (11) died after she choked on a marshmallow (Photo: Facebook)
Azriel (11) died after she choked on a marshmallow (Photo: Facebook)
Denise Calnan

Denise Calnan

The parents of a young girl who died after choking on a marshmallow at a birthday party are suing the party hosts.

Jason and Iris Estabrooks, from Massachusetts, lost their daughter Azriel (11) in April of this year after she choked at a birthday party,

They are now alleging that their daughter and other children were not supervised properly at the party and hosts Raymond and Alison Dugan provided food at the party that could be a choking hazard, New York Daily News reports.

"When a healthy, normal child goes to a birthday party and ends up choking to death, questions of supervision and response to the emergency naturally arise," the Estabrooks' lawyer Steven Sabra told the Herald News.

It is also claimed that the child was without oxygen for "an extended period of time" before she was found on the floor.

It is alleged that nobody realised she had passed out and the hosts had waited too long to call emergency services.

The amount of monetary damages being sought is unspecified, but the mother is suing for emotional distress.

The young girl was rushed to hospital after paramedics dislodged a marshmallow from her throat.

She died in hospital five days later.

Police ruled the young girl's death as an accident and said they found no criminal wrongdoing on the part of the hosts.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News