Sunday 25 February 2018

Melania Trump 'has no intention' of profiting from public position

Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump arrive for a Super Bowl party at their resort in Florida on Sunday night. Photo: AP Photo/Susan Walsh
Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump arrive for a Super Bowl party at their resort in Florida on Sunday night. Photo: AP Photo/Susan Walsh
Catherine Devine

Catherine Devine

US First Lady Melania Trump "has no intention" to use her public position to build a profitable brand, according to her representatives.

The statement comes after Mrs Trump refiled a €140m (£121m)  libel lawsuit against the corporation that publishes the Daily Mail's website for reporting rumours that she worked as an escort.

In the new filing, Mrs Trump's lawyers argued the report damaged her ability to profit from her high profile.

Mrs Trump, the filing states, "had the unique, one-in-a-lifetime opportunity, as an extremely famous and well-known person, as well as a former professional model, brand spokesperson and successful businesswoman, to launch a broad-based commercial brand in multiple product categories, each of which could have garnered multi-million dollar business relationships for a multi-year term during which Plaintiff is one of the most photographed women in the world".

However, according to The Washington Post, representatives for Mrs Trump said that she is not using her position for personal gain.

“It is not a possibility. Any statements to the contrary are being misinterpreted," her representatives told The Washington Post.

Mrs Trump had previously filed the lawsuit against Mail Media Inc in Maryland, but earlier this month a judge ruled the case should not be filed there and dismissed it.

The lawsuit, now filed in New York, where the corporation has offices, seeks compensatory and punitive damages of at least 150 million dollars.

Mrs Trump had sued Mail Media Inc, along with blogger Webster Tarpley, for reporting the rumours.

She filed the lawsuit in Maryland after both Mr Tarpley and the Daily Mail issued retractions.

The lawsuit against Mr Tarpley has been allowed to move ahead in Maryland.

With reporting from Press Association

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News