'Heroic' boy (5) saves parents after they overdose on heroin
Police tried to comfort the five-year-old and his three-month-old sister, who was still strapped into her car seat in their car
A five-year-old boy has been hailed a hero for raising the alarm when both of his parents passed out from a heroin overdose.
The boy allegedly walked barefoot to his step-grandfather's house and said his parents were dead.
“When I walked up the steps and seen him laying in the bathroom floor and her in the hallway, I immediately called 911 because I knew what was up,” step-grandfather Kenneth Currey told WLWT news.
Police tried to comfort the five-year-old and his three-month-old sister, who was still strapped into her car seat in their car.
Police found parents Lee Johnson and Chelsie Marshall lying unconscious on the floor.
When Johnson gained consciousness he admitted using heroin.
Marshall needed to be taken to a hospital to be revived, according to the station.
Police found some white residue on a chair in the home, which is being taken to a lab for further testing.
According to the New York Post, both parents face two charges of endangering children and one count of disorderly conduct with heroin.
The children were brought to the Middletown Police Department, where the boy received a badge for his bravery. They were later taken to live with other family members.
“I’m very proud of the boy, very proud of him, but it’s just, tragedy,” Currey told the station.
Middletown Police Chief Rodney Muterspaw said the situation could have escalated quickly.
“Parents, wake up,” he said. “People that are doing this, you’re not just hurting you, you’re hurting your families and your kids. I mean, this could’ve turned out really bad for two children that don’t deserve it.”