Graphic images show injuries suffered by man after vape pipe explodes in face
Warning: Graphic content
A father-of-three had to be rushed to hospital after the vape pipe he was smoking exploded in his face, leaving him with second degree burns.
Andrew Hall was getting ready for work when the incident happened and took to Facebook to warn other smokers how dangerous electronic cigarettes can be.
"I've lost at least seven teeth, have second degree burns to the face and neck and have been pulling chunks of plastic, teeth and foreign objects from my mouth, throat and lips. I was lucky that there wasn't a huge amount of damage to the room in my house I was in as well," he said.
Mr Hall, originally from Oregon, America, is currently in the Intensive Care Unit of his local hospital.
He says the explosion shattered his bathroom sink and left scorch marks on the wall and the ceiling.
Posting on Facebook from his hospital bed, he said: "I did not do anything I wasn’t supposed to (battery was in right, always had the shop put it together when I first bought it and add things and maintenance it the right way while taking their advice) but it exploded in my face.
"I vape (I know, terrible and uncool) but I no longer do and I hope to possibly sway those that do to maybe reevaluate or find other methods of smoking."
Fire chiefs have previously issued safety warnings following a spate of incidents involving vape pipes.
In August, British man David Thomson (62) was killed when an e-cigarette on charge exploded and ignited oxygen equipment he was believed to have been using. It was thought to be to be the first fatality from a fire involving an e-cigarette in the UK.
Other incidents have resulted in people being hurt, while there have been reports of users' houses being badly damaged.