Sunday 15 September 2019

Faulty Christmas tree lights spark house blaze that kills elderly couple

Stock Image: Getty Images/Flickr RF
Stock Image: Getty Images/Flickr RF
Denise Calnan

Denise Calnan

A couple in their late seventies are understood to have died after their faulty Christmas tree lights sparked a fire.

Melba Mecha (74) and Gary Mecham (77), from Woods Cross, near Salt Lake City, died after trying to put out the blaze.

Emergency services said it is most likely the elderly couple died from smoke inhalation.

Local broadcaster KSTU  report that neighbours raised the alarm and called firefighters to the scene.

The visibility in the building was reported to be minimal.

The couple were recovered from the fire and brought to a local hospital where they were pronounced dead.

Authorities believe the electrical fire was sparked from old Christmas lights on an artificial tree.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News