Wednesday 13 December 2017

Don't try this at home - world's hottest pepper burns a hole in man's throat

Bhut jolokia peppers
Bhut jolokia peppers Newsdesk Newsdesk

This isn't one to try at home in an attempt to become a YouTube star.

The world's hottest pepper has burned a hole in a man's throat.

The man, a 47-year-old American citizen, suffered a 1-inch tear in his oesophagus after he bit into a burger covered in ghost-pepper puree. The Journal of Emergency Medicine reports how the burger was covered in the ghost-pepper puree, a sauce made from bhut jolokia peppers.

The pepper measures 1 million units on the Scoville scale, which is 400 times hotter than Tabasco sauce.

The man vomited after eating the burger and was in severe pain.

He was rushed to a hospital where he spent 23 days before he was discharged with a gastric tube.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News