Deadly snake bites back after man cut off its head
A Texas man is recovering in hospital after being bitten by a rattlesnake's head - after it had been chopped from its body.
Jeremy Sutcliffe (40) had to be administered with 26 doses of antivenin to try to keep him alive.
Mr Sutcliffe's wife Jennifer came across the four-foot-long Western diamondback rattlesnake while gardening outside their home, near Lake Corpus Christi in southern Texas.
Mr Sutcliffe, alerted by his wife's screams, came over with a shovel and decapitated it. He believed the ordeal was over but, ten minutes later, his picked up the head and it bit him - not knowing that snakes can discharge venom up to an hour after the head is removed.
Ms Sutcliffe, a nurse, immediately got her husband into the car and dialled 911 to figure out which of the local hospitals had antivenin. Doctors said he was going into septic shock, had internal bleeding. He was put into an induced coma and placed on a ventilator. His organs had started shutting down.
He has since recovered and is now in a stable condition.