Wednesday 21 August 2019

Brain-eating amoeba kills man after swimming in artificial lake

 

'The federal Centres for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the death was caused by naegleria fowleri, a single-celled organism known as the brain-eating amoeba' (stock photo)
'The federal Centres for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the death was caused by naegleria fowleri, a single-celled organism known as the brain-eating amoeba' (stock photo)

Emile Laurac

A North Carolina man has died from a rare brain-eating amoeba after swimming in a manmade lake at a water park.

The US State Department of Health said that the infection was caused by the amoeba naturally present in warm freshwater during the summer.

The unnamed person became sick after swimming in Fantasy Lake Water Park in Hope Mills in North Caroline on July 12.

The federal Centres for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the death was caused by naegleria fowleri, a single-celled organism known as the brain-eating amoeba.

It can be fatal if forced up the nose but does not cause illness if swallowed.

Symptoms typically begin with severe headache, fever, nausea and vomiting and progress to stiff neck, seizures and coma.

The amoeba can cause severe illness up to nine days after exposure.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News