Saturday 24 February 2018

New York officer filmed wrestling black schoolgirl (11) on to pavement

David Kearns

A New York City police officer has been filmed forcing an 11-year-old girl to the ground and arresting her on suspicion of stealing a phone.

The black child, who was later released without charge, was walking home from school in the Bronx when she was called over by the white police lieutenant.

Almost immediately he grabs her arm and roughly pulls her towards him before placing his hand around her neck and throwing her to the ground, where he rolls her over and cuffs her.

Read More: Family of black choke victim wins $6m payout

The incident took place in February but has only come to light in the United States following a decision by the City of New York not to prosecute the officer for the use of excessive force.

Speaking under oath, the officer said that during the ‘struggle’ with the 11-year-old, both he and the child: “slipped and fell to the ground.”

“On the ground [she] continued to flail her arms and thrash her body, preventing me from placing handcuffs on her. We continued to struggle until I was eventually able to place handcuffs on."

According to reports, a shopkeeper witnessed the police officer’s actions and gave a copy of his store’s CCTV to the child’s mother, who has since filed a lawsuit against the New York Police Department.

Read More: Mourners to remember Baltimore man who died in police custody

Her parents claim that the young child now cries in her sleep, does not like to go outside, and her relationships with friends have changed as she has become more withdrawn.

They also said she is also now scared of and avoids the police.

The video comes less than six months after New York man Eric Garner was grabbed around the neck and wrestled to the ground on suspicion of the minor offense of selling untaxed cigarettes.

Read More: White police officer who shot black man in the back fired and charged with murder

The family of the black man received a €5.4 million settlement from the New York City this week, days before the anniversary of his death.

An white officer placed his arm around Mr Garner's neck to take him to the ground.

Mr Garner, who had asthma, was heard gasping "I can't breathe!" 11 times before he lost consciousness.

He was pronounced dead later at a hospital.

Mr Garner's death sparked demonstrations and became a flashpoint in a national debate about relations between police and minority communities.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News