| 12.9°C Dublin

Murdered policewoman was only 15 days in job


Clarissa Jena-Philippe

Clarissa Jena-Philippe

Rescue workers tend a victim after a shooting in Montrouge, south of Paris, yesterday. Photo: AP

Rescue workers tend a victim after a shooting in Montrouge, south of Paris, yesterday. Photo: AP



Clarissa Jena-Philippe

A policewoman was shot in the head and killed in a suburb of Paris yesterday, in the second terrorist attack to strike the French capital in less than 24 hours.

French authorities spent much of yesterday involved in two massive manhunts - one for the killer of 27-year-old Clarissa Jean-Philippe, and the other for the Kouachi brothers, thought to be behind Wednesday's terrorist attack that killed 12.

Last night they announced that two men had been arrested in connection with Ms Jean-Philippe's killing, after a search lasting over eight hours - one described as a 52-year-old, and the other's age unknown.

"Two men have been detained, but we can't at this stage confirm whether it is the author of the shooting," said a police source.

Ms Jean-Philippe had been in the job for only 15 days when she was murdered.

"The municipal policewoman cut down this morning was a credit to the nation," said Manuel Valls, the French prime minister.

The recently graduated policewoman, who was born in the French overseas territory of Martinique, was on patrol on the wide, leafy Avenue Pierre Brossolette at 8am yesterday. She was called to a car crash involving two cars - one of them a Renault Clio, like that which the Kouachi brothers had escaped in the previous night. But when she arrived at the scene she was shot, and died almost immediately on the pavement.

It is understood the policewoman's mother heard the news of her daughter's killing on her radio in her native Martinique. Ms Jean-Philippe was described by colleagues as "lively and dynamic".

David Merseray, vice-president of the CFTC municipal police union, paid tribute to the murdered officer. "Her colleagues called her the 'little brother' of the police station. We are all in a state of shock at what's happened," he said.

Her colleague was seriously injured and last night was in a serious condition but expected to recover.

Ahmed Sassi (38) said he was woken by gunfire and saw a "scene of total panic". From the window of his kitchen, he watched the murder. "A man in a serious suit shot her and then ran away."

Ms Jean-Philippe was a municipal police officer, and thus was unarmed. The police union yesterday called for the arming of all municipal police, given the situation. Bernard Cazeneuve, the interior minister, last night praised the efforts of the 88,000 police who were drafted in for the two manhunts. (© Daily Telegraph, London)