'Rubble Bucket Challenge' launched in Gaza
Following the success of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, Gaza launches novel - and potentially painful - rubble challenge
A "Rubble Bucket Challenge" has been launched in support of people in Gaza suffering from Israeli air strikes.
In an imitation of the "Ice Bucket Challenge", the campaign sees people pour buckets of sand and rocks over their head and nominate others to do the same.
The concept is intended as a "a campaign to raise awareness about the war on Gaza where people are are bombed inside their homes", according to its Facebook page.
A Gaza-based journalist Ayman Aloul, who took part in the challenge, posted a YouTube video in which he appears to be standing amid the ruins of Gaza buildings destroyed by air strikes.
"We looked for a bucket of water, however the use of water is more important than to empty over our heads," he said. "And even if the water is available it is difficult to freeze it."
Various videos have already been posted in which participants from countries including Germany and the United States pour a bucketload full of rubble over their heads, and nominate others to follow suit.
In the video featuring Mr Aloul, he says: “If five famous people in the world like actors or presidents will do the challenge, that means I succeeded in sending the message about Gaza."
Hashtags for the campaign include #dustbucketchallenge and #remainsbucketchallenge.
More than 17,000 homes have been destroyed or damaged irreparably since Israel launched Operation Protective Edge on July 8.
The conflict, which enters its 50th day on Tuesday, has killed more than 2,100 Palestinians and 68 on the Israeli side.
The original Ice Bucket Challenge, which went viral online and has so far raised £37.5 million, was set up to combat motor neurone disease.
It has garnered support from celebrities and politicians spanning Justin Bieber to George W Bush.