Sunday 26 January 2020

Iran-backed militia vows revenge over US strikes

Protest: Tyres on fire near the US embassy in Iraq. Photo: Reuters/Thaier al-Sudani
Protest: Tyres on fire near the US embassy in Iraq. Photo: Reuters/Thaier al-Sudani

Qassim Abdul-Zahra

An Iranian-backed militia has vowed to exact revenge for the "aggression of evil American ravens".

The announcement in Baghdad came a day after US defence secretary Mark Esper said Washington had carried out military strikes targeting the Iranian-backed Iraqi militia blamed for a rocket attack that killed an American contractor in Iraq last week.

Confirmation: Defence Secretary Mark Esper told of the US strikes. Photo: Getty Images
Confirmation: Defence Secretary Mark Esper told of the US strikes. Photo: Getty Images

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the strikes send the message that the US will not tolerate actions by Iran that jeopardise American lives.

The US military said "precision defensive strikes" were conducted against five sites of Kataeb Hezbollah, or Hezbollah Brigades in Iraq and Syria.

Please log in or register with Independent.ie for free access to this article.

Log In

"Our battle with America and its mercenaries is now open to all possibilities," Kataeb Hezbollah said in a statement.

"We have no alternative today other than confrontation, and there is nothing that will prevent us from responding to this crime."

The US blames the militia for a rocket barrage that killed a US defence contractor at a military compound near Kirkuk, in northern Iraq.

Officials said as many as 30 rockets were fired in that attack.

Iraq's Hezbollah Brigades, a separate force from the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah, operates under the umbrella of the state-sanctioned militias known collectively as the Popular Mobilisation Forces. Many of them are supported by Iran.

The Popular Mobilisation Forces said the US strikes killed at least 19 of Kataeb Hezbollah's members. But Kataeb Hezbollah spokesman Mohammed Mohieh told reporters that the death toll rose to 25.

At least 51 militiamen were wounded and some of them were in serious condition, he said, adding that the militia group's commanders would decide on the retaliation.

In Tehran, foreign ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi condemned the US strikes against Kataeb Hezbollah as an "obvious case of terrorism" and accused Washington of ignoring Iraq's sovereignty.

Lebanon's Iran-backed Hezbollah also blasted the "brutal American aggression", saying those who took the decision to carry out the attack "will soon discover how stupid this criminal decision was".

Kataeb Hezbollah is led by Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, one of Iraq's most powerful men.

He once battled US troops and is now the deputy head of the Popular Mobilisation Forces. In 2009, the State Department linked him to the elite Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guard, designated a foreign terrorist organisation by US President Donald Trump last year.

The US maintains some 5,000 troops in Iraq, at the invitation of the Iraqi government, to assist and train in the fight against Isil.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News