At least four people were killed and more than 60 others injured when gunmen stormed a military hospital in Afghanistan's capital on Wednesday.
The attack set off clashes with security forces which were still under way hours later.
General Dawlat Waziri, a Defence Ministry spokesman, said an unknown number of gunmen entered the Sardar Mohammad Daud Khan Hospital in Kabul after an explosion and gunfire.
The 400-bed military hospital is located near two civilian hospitals in the Wazir Akbar Khan area of the city, which is also home to several embassies.
Health Ministry spokesman Ismail Kawasi said the bodies of at least three civilians and more than 60 wounded people had been taken to nearby hospitals, adding that the toll was likely to rise as ambulances were still at the scene.
Gen Waziri said Afghan forces had battled the attackers floor by floor, and were carrying out a clearing operation on the 6th and 8th floors of the complex.
He said a suicide bomber had detonated his explosives and another attacker was shot dead, and that one member of the security forces was killed and three others wounded.
Afghan helicopters circled over the area, which was surrounded by security forces.
Abdul Qadir, a hospital worker who witnessed the attack, said a gunman in a white coat fired at him and his colleagues. He added that there were seven patients prepared for surgery in the operating theatre where he works at the time.
President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attack during an address in honour of International Women's Day, calling it "an attack on all Afghan people and all Afghan women".
No-one immediately claimed the attack, and the Taliban denied responsibility.
The assault on the hospital came exactly a week after the Taliban launched a complex attack in Kabul targeting security forces which killed at least 22 people and set off clashes that lasted several hours.