Monday 17 June 2019

Footage of men with 'remains of Khashoggi in suitcases' aired

Mystery: Jamal Khashoggi was murdered in Istanbul in October. Image: AP Photo/Hasan Jamali, File
Mystery: Jamal Khashoggi was murdered in Istanbul in October. Image: AP Photo/Hasan Jamali, File

Orhan Coskun

A TURKISH pro-government television channel has broadcast video showing men carrying suitcases purportedly containing the remains of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi into the residence of his country's consul general in Istanbul.

The footage broadcast by A Haber shows men carrying what it said were five cases through the main entrance of the residence, a short distance from the consulate where Mr Khashoggi, a leading critic of Saudi policies, was killed in early October.

A Turkish official said the media report, also carried by the pro-government Sabah newspaper on its website, appeared to be accurate, without giving further details.

Mr Khashoggi was a royal insider who became a critic of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and began writing for the Washington Post after moving to the United States last year.

Saudi officials have rejected accusations that the crown prince ordered his death.

The murder has sparked global outrage and damaged the international reputation of 33-year-old prince, the kingdom's de facto leader.

Sabah said the cases had been brought to the residence in a black minibus.

After offering numerous contradictory explanations regarding the fate of Mr Khashoggi, Riyadh later said he had been killed and his body dismembered when negotiations to persuade him to return to Saudi Arabia failed.

Mr Khashoggi's remains have not been found and Turkey has repeatedly asked Saudi Arabia where they are.

Last month, Turkish police searched a remote villa in a coastal area south-east of Istanbul as part of the investigation.

Saudi Arabia's public prosecutor's office said last month it was seeking the death penalty for five individuals, and that 11 of 21 suspects had been indicted and would be referred to court in Saudi Arabia.

Turkish foreign minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said last week that Ankara was working with other countries to take the investigation into Mr Khashoggi's killing to the United Nations.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News