Anti-Gaddafi forces halted as Sirte snipers pin them down
Snipers defending Muammar Gaddafi's hometown of Sirte held off an advance yesterday by interim government forces, as the last bastion of Gaddafi's supporters fought to keep the new government out.
Libya's new rulers, the National Transitional Council (NTC), broke weeks of resistance from Gaddafi loyalists to enter Sirte in recent days. But heavy gunfire has prevented them from reaching the city centre.
Anti-Gaddafi units which approached the city from the east were, for a second day, pinned down at a roundabout about a mile from the centre of Sirte.
"Gaddafi forces have placed a lot of snipers around the roundabout and it is not easy for us to advance forward until we get rid of the snipers," said Ahmed Saleh, an NTC fighter.
Explosions of artillery rounds and exchanges of small arms fire could be heard from the roundabout. Nato warplanes, which have been pounding targets in Sirte to clear the way for NTC forces to enter, were flying overhead.
Taking Sirte would be an important symbolic trophy for Libya's new rulers, and would bring them closer to finally gaining control of the whole country more than a month since their fighters seized the capital Tripoli.
Gaddafi built lavishly, turning his birthplace -- once a sleepy coastal town -- into an informal second capital.
It was in the marble halls of Sirte's Ouagadougou conference centre that he hosted heads of state for summits designed to burnish his image as "African king of kings".
Libya's new rulers are under pressure to bring the fighting to an end.
Humanitarian organisations have raised the alarm over conditions for civilians in Sirte and in the second pro-Gaddafi bastion, the desert outpost of Bani Walid southeast of Tripoli.
Scores of civilians in cars laden with personal belongings streamed out of the town to both the east and west on Monday.
"We are very concerned about the people inside and near Bani Walid and Sirte," said Georges Comninos, who heads the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Libya.
NTC fighters and people who have fled Sirte have alleged that pro-Gaddafi fighters were trying to prevent civilians from leaving, effectively using them as human shields.
"Gaddafi's forces have surrounded the area, closed it off, by shooting at people," said a man called Youssef, driving away from Sirte with his wife.
"There are a lot of people who want to get out but can't," he added.
Gaddafi's fugitive spokesman Moussa Ibrahim claimed that the ousted leader was in Libya and "very happy that he is doing his part in this great saga of resistance".
Ibrahim would not comment further on Gaddafi's whereabouts, but said he himself had been in Sirte the previous day. "The situation is quite bad."
Earlier it was claimed that NCT forces had halted their assault on Sirte to allow civilians to flee, after entering "the heart" of Gaddafi's hometown, Abdul Busin, a spokesman, said.
"The only delay at the moment is they are waiting for the residents to clear out," Mr Busin said yesterday.
The council's fighters were also running low on ammunition for assault rifles and anti-aircraft guns, and were waiting for new supplies to arrive, he said. Gaddafi loyalists have moved to higher ground south of Sirte, giving them a slight military advantage, he said.
In the eastern city of Benghazi, Libya's interim leaders are holding a third day of negotiations on a government to see the country through to elections.
The formation of the interim cabinet has been repeatedly postponed since the NTC took Tripoli in late August.
Mohammed Al-Alagi, justice minister in the council, said it would be formed in the "coming days".