Monday 17 June 2019

100 dead after clashes with security forces

Smoke rises behind barricades laid by protesters to block a street in the Sudanese capital Khartoum to stop military vehicles from driving through the area. Photo: Mohammed Najib via AP
Smoke rises behind barricades laid by protesters to block a street in the Sudanese capital Khartoum to stop military vehicles from driving through the area. Photo: Mohammed Najib via AP

Zamira Rahim

One-hundred people have been killed in a two-day crackdown on Sudanese protesters carried out by security forces, a doctors' committee close to the demonstrators said yesterday.

A previous toll given by the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors had counted 40 dead since the bloody dispersal of a weeks-long sit-in outside army headquarters in Khartoum on Monday.

The committee said it held "the militias of the (military) council . . . responsible for this massacre."

Protesters have previously singled out the Rapid Support Forces, paramilitaries with origins in the 16-year-old war in the western region of Darfur whose commander is deputy chairman on the ruling military council.

Following the deadly crackdown, the military council announced it was abandoning all previous agreements on a transition to civilian rule.

The protest movement in turn dismissed the generals' promise of elections within nine months instead.

Yesterday, hundreds of residents of Khartoum suburb Bahri blocked off streets with barricades made from stones, and waited by them in silence, a witness told reporters.

In the early morning, sporadic shooting could be heard in the Khartoum 2 neighbourhood, an area where there are several embassies.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News