Monday 23 October 2017

Man severely burned after picking up what he thought was a lump of amber

White phosphorus from the Dennis s.k collection. Photo: Wikimedia Commons
White phosphorus from the Dennis s.k collection. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Heather Saul

A pensioner suffered third degree burns when a chunk of white phosphorus he mistook for amber ignited in his pocket and set him on fire.

The 67-year-old man was on the Hubertsberg beach in north Germany when he spotted a yellow stone he believed was amber, which often washes up on beaches in the region, The Local reported.

The unnamed man picked up the stone and slipped it in his pocket. When he continued walking, the white phosphorus, which is dangerously flammable in the air above 30 degrees, burst into flames and set him on fire.

The man was in a particularly remote area of Steine in Schleswig Holstein but fortunately an angler spotted him in distress and called emergency services.

White phosphorus has been used since World War II as an incendiary device because of its abilities to burn fiercely and ignite cloth, fuel and other combustibles.  It is particularly effective at producing blankets of smoke and cannot be extinguished with water.

In a statement, Schleswig Holstein police confirmed the beach had been closed off to the public and was being searched for any further munitions.

The man is still receiving treatment in a specialist clinic for his burns.

(Independent.co.uk)

Online Editors

Editors Choice

Also in World News