Man in court after Sydney Opera House 'IS terror threat'
An 18-year-old man arrested outside the Sydney Opera House after allegedly telling security guards he was under instructions to carry out an attack by the Islamic State group has been ordered by a court to undergo a psychiatric assessment.
Counter-terrorism investigators charged the teenager with threatening to destroy property after New South Wales Police said he was stopped by guards outside the Opera House on Thursday.
Officers said the teenager was carrying two canisters of automotive fluid and told the guards he had been instructed to carry out an attack by IS.
His arrest came days after the Islamic State movement urged followers to stab, shoot, poison and run over Australians at landmark locations including the Opera House.
The teenager appeared in a Sydney court on Friday, where the judge ordered him to undergo a psychiatric assessment.
The youth's lawyer, Pierre de Dassel, told the court that his client had previously been assessed by a psychologist and that his caseworkers had become concerned his mental health was declining after noticing he appeared to be laughing and talking to himself.
"I believe I have to go to doctor's because I'm not acting like myself," the teenager told Central Local Court Magistrate Les Mabbutt.
He faces a potential sentence of five years in prison if convicted.