Saturday 24 August 2019

Man accused in New Zealand mosque killings pleads not guilty

Judge Cameron Mander scheduled a six-week trial beginning next May.

Brenton Tarrant, the man charged in the Christchurch mosque shootings (Mark Mitchell/AP)
Brenton Tarrant, the man charged in the Christchurch mosque shootings (Mark Mitchell/AP)

By Nick Perry, Associated Press

The man accused of killing 51 people at two Christchurch mosques has pleaded not guilty to all the charges filed against him.

Brenton Tarrant smiled as his lawyer, Shane Tait, entered the not guilty pleas, but otherwise showed little emotion during the hearing at the Christchurch High Court.

The 28-year-old Australian appeared via videolink from a small room at the maximum security prison in Auckland where he is being held.

The courtroom was filled with 80 survivors and family members, while about another 60 watched the proceedings on video in an overflow room.

ipanews_27278fa4-2705-4211-baa2-cafb6369ac07_embedded243516584
Court drawing of Brenton Tarrant appearing via video link (Stephanie McEwin/AP)

Four cultural advisers and other staff were assigned to help the victims and family members understand what was going on in court and the next steps in the case.

A man who addressed the survivors said they had been praying during the holy month of Ramadan and that the Muslim community would help and support each other during the coming weeks and months.

Tarrant has been charged with 51 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and one terrorism charge in relation to the March 15 massacre.

Wearing a grey sweatshirt, Tarrant was shown being brought into the room by three prison officers.

His link had been muted, and he did not attempt to speak. When Judge Cameron Mander asked if he could hear and see what was going on in the courtroom, Tarrant nodded.

ipanews_27278fa4-2705-4211-baa2-cafb6369ac07_embedded243516426
Janna Ezat, mother of Al Noor mosque shooting victim Hussein Al-Umari shows a shirt bearing his photo (Mark Baker/AP)

Judge Mander said that two mental-health assessments of Tarrant had been completed, and there were no issues in relation to the accused’s ability to enter pleas and stand trial.

Such mental-health assessments are standard procedure in murder cases.

The judge scheduled a six-week trial to begin May 4. Tarrant will remain in custody ahead of his next hearing on August 15.

In the March 15 attacks, 42 worshippers were killed at the Al Noor mosque and seven were killed at the Linwood mosque during Friday prayers.

Two more people died later at the Christchurch Hospital.

The shooter livestreamed much of the attack on Facebook.

New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has vowed never to say the accused man’s name.

Last month, she helped lead a global pledge named the “Christchurch Call”, aimed at boosting efforts to keep internet platforms from being used to spread hate, organise extremist groups and broadcast attacks.

PA Media

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News