Malaysia approves new search for missing MH370 plane
The Malaysian government has approved a new attempt to find the wreckage of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 in the Indian Ocean.
A US-based company dispatched a search vessel to look for debris in the southern Indian Ocean earlier this week, three-and-a-half years after the Boeing 777 disappeared on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 227 passengers and 12 crew.
Malaysia, China and Australia called off the 1,046-day official search last year without solving the mystery.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau's final report on the search conceded that authorities were no closer to knowing the reasons for the plane's disappearance, or its exact location.
Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said on Saturday that the government remained committed to continuing with the search.
"The basis of the offer from Ocean Infinity is based on 'no cure, no fee,'" he said.
It means that payment will be made only if the company finds the wreckage.
"That means they are willing to search the area of 25,000 square kilometres pointed out by the expert group near the Australian waters," he added.
However, he said: "I don't want to give too much hope... to the (next of kin)."
Ocean Infinity said in this week's statement that the vessel, which left the South African port of Durban on Tuesday, was taking advantage of favourable weather to move towards "the vicinity of the possible search zone".