| 12.8°C Dublin

Kevin Spacey allowed by UK court to fly home to US after ‘strenuously denying’ charges of sex assault

Close

Kevin Spacey (centre) arrives at Westminster Magistrates' Court yesterday. Photo: Carl Court/Getty

Kevin Spacey (centre) arrives at Westminster Magistrates' Court yesterday. Photo: Carl Court/Getty

Kevin Spacey (centre) arrives at Westminster Magistrates' Court yesterday. Photo: Carl Court/Getty

Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey is free to fly home to the US from the UK after a court was told he “strenuously denies” allegations that he sexually assaulted three men.

Spacey (62) was not asked to enter pleas to four counts of sexual assault and one count of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent when he appeared before Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London yesterday.

The allegations relate to three men, now aged in their 30s and 40s, in London and Gloucestershire between 2005 and 2013 while Mr Spacey was artistic director of The Old Vic theatre in London.

Arriving at court flanked by security men and lawyers – including one from the US – Spacey entered the glass-walled dock of Court One for the 30-minute hearing in front of the deputy chief magistrate, Tan Ikran.

The actor smiled and nodded at Mr Ikran as he granted the House Of Cards star unconditional bail ahead of his next appearance at Southwark Crown Court on July 14.

Spacey sat alone during the hearing, listening intently and looking around the packed press benches and public gallery as Natalie Dawson, prosecuting, set out the basics of the case and discussed bail options.

Patrick Gibbs QC, defending, told Mr Ikran that Spacey had co-operated fully with the police investigation, including four days of interviews in New York.

The court was told Spacey lives in the US, where he has family and a nine-year-old dog, and is required to be in the country to audition for work.

Mr Gibbs said: “He lives in the United States. His family live in the United States. His nine-year-old dog is in the United States.

“He is an American citizen, who requires to be in the United States most of the time.

“Mr Spacey strenuously denies any and all criminality in this case.

“He has returned to the UK in order to establish his innocence.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

“He needs to answer these charges if he is to proceed with his life.”

Spacey was mobbed by photographers as he arrived at court.

He was ushered in to the building surrounded by members of his legal team and two police officers.

He made no comment, but smiled as he was rushed past a queue of other court attendees and through the entrance before passing security.

He stood in the dock to confirm his name as Kevin Spacey Fowler, his London address at a flat in Waterloo and his date of birth.

Prosecutor Ms Dawson
did not give any further details of the allegations beyond the charges, which were read out by the court’s legal adviser.

They include two counts of sexual assault on a man, who is now in his 40s, in March 2005 in London; sexual assault on a man, who is now in his 30s, and causing him to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent, in August 2008 in London; and sexual assault on a man, who is now in his 30s, in April 2013 in Gloucestershire.

The Crown Prosecution Service authorised the charges against him last month, but Spacey could only be formally charged when he had travelled to the UK earlier this week.

Mr Ikram withdrew an arrest warrant issued weeks ago after the court was told Mr Spacey arrived in London on Monday to receive a postal requisition.

After asking whether he could address the defendant as Mr Spacey, Mr Ikran said: “You have co-operated, I am told, with the authorities in New York and you have voluntarily attended these proceedings here today.”

Spacey, a two-time Oscar winner, who is known for starring roles in American Beauty and The Usual Suspects, had previously said he would travel to the UK to face the charges.

The star, who was artistic director of The Old Vic between 2004 and 2015, smiled again as he left court before being ushered into a waiting car.

Spacey was edited out of Ridley Scott’s film, All the Money in the World, in November 2017, just a month before its scheduled theatrical run, and replaced in reshoots with Christopher Plummer.

He has not appeared in any releases since, aside from YouTube videos he posted each Christmas Eve from 2018 to 2020 (in which he speaks at times in character as House of Cards lead Frank Underwood).

However, he starred in two projects with distribution rights for sale at the recent Cannes Film Festival: Michael Zaiko Hall’s Peter Five Eight and Peter Soos’s Gateway to the West. According to movies database IMDb, he has two other films in the works.


Most Watched





Privacy