Thursday 15 November 2018

Jordan opens shelter as flash flood death toll climbs to 12

The torrents came two weeks after 21 people, most of them children, were killed in flash floods near the Dead Sea.

Jordan’s most famous archaeological monument in Petra (Sam McNeil/AP)
Jordan’s most famous archaeological monument in Petra (Sam McNeil/AP)

By Laure van Ruymbeke, Associated Press

The death toll from flash floods in Jordan has risen to 12 after what local officials said was the biggest deluge in the area in decades.

The kingdom’s main tourist attraction, the ancient city of Petra, has also been closed for clean-up operations.

Friday’s floods struck several areas of Jordan. Rescuers continued the search for missing people around the Wala reservoir in central Jordan on Saturday.

In the southern town of Maan, authorities opened a shelter for dozens of people whose homes were surrounded by water.

In all, 12 people were killed, including two children and a diver who had been involved in rescue efforts, according to state media and Jordanian government spokeswoman Jumana Ghuneimat.

Separately, Israel’s public radio said contact had been lost with three Israeli tourists in southern Jordan.

The Arabic-language Makan Radio said the tourists had last been heard from in the Wadi Rum area, another major tourist attraction.

ipanews_4df5f3bc-eaa7-4555-a7d2-2591eee7f5f4_embedded239619019
Jordanian rescue teams search the area (Raad Adayleh/AP)

The torrents came two weeks after 21 people, most of them children, were killed in flash floods near the Dead Sea.

The tourism and education ministers resigned over the Dead Sea flooding.

In Petra, the ancient trade hub carved into rose-hued rocks, heavy rains began at around 1pm on Friday and last for about 40 minutes, said Rafael Dorado, 41, a tourist from Spain.

At about 3pm, a torrent of water came gushing through the site’s steep and narrow access canyon, flooding the area within minutes, he said.

Mr Delgado said he was observing from a hilltop temple in the area, but saw other visitors scrambling to higher ground.

He said some visitors were later evacuated by trucks and others made their way out on foot.

Suleiman Farajat, the chief administrator in Petra, said the site would remain closed on Saturday, but would likely reopen Sunday. He said he has never seen flooding of such intensity in the area.

“It’s really, I wouldn’t say scary, but surprising how huge the flood was,” he said.

Press Association

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News