| 5°C Dublin

Jackson's doctor 'too busy with girlfriends to save star'

Michael Jackson's doctor was so distracted by his own complicated love live that he failed to pay proper attention to the singer's treatment in the hours before he died, according to court documents.

Prosecutors said they could show Dr Conrad Murray was talking on his mobile phone and sending text messages to three women during that time.

One conversation with a cocktail waitress he met at a Houston, Texas, restaurant lasted 11 minutes and apparently ended when Dr Murray realised Jackson (50) was not breathing, prosecutors said.

Dr Murray was also accused of receiving calls and texting with two other women he had met at Las Vegas strip clubs.

"He was receiving personal phone calls during the hours when he was supposed to be completely focused on the care of Mr Jackson," prosecutors said in the documents.

Prosecutors are trying to persuade a judge to allow the evidence during Dr Murray's upcoming involuntary manslaughter trial.

Dr Murray also broke doctor-patient confidentiality by trying to impress the women with the fact that he was treating Jackson, according to their motion.

Dr Murray, who has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter, is also accused of gross negligence for administering the anaesthetic propofol and other sedatives to Jackson before he died.

The trial is likely to focus on his competence based partially on his reactions after Jackson stopped breathing.

Evidence at a preliminary hearing earlier this year showed that Dr Murray never told paramedics or hospital personnel that he had given Jackson propofol or other sedatives.

Defence lawyers have moved to bar evidence involving "sexually scandalous information", including Dr Murray's patronage of strip clubs.

Among other things, prosecutors want to show jurors Dr Murray's receipt for $1,100 from a strip club in Las Vegas where he met dancer Michelle Bella. They said Ms Bella would testify Dr Murray wrote his mobile phone number on the receipt.


They said she would testify she had lunch with Dr Murray three weeks before Jackson's death and the doctor confided he was working with the singer.

She said he also offered to buy her a plane ticket for her birthday, and on the day of Jackson's death she called Dr Murray to follow up on the offer.

The motion said the timing of the calls showed that Dr Murray "put no limitations as to the time period when his acquaintances could call him".

Superior Court judge Michael Pastor has set a hearing on all pending motions for April 21.

Irish Independent