Thursday 26 April 2018

India PM calls emergency meeting as Kashmir clashes death toll rises

An Indian soldier stands guard near a roadblock set up by Kashmiri protesters, during a curfew in Srinagar (AP)
An Indian soldier stands guard near a roadblock set up by Kashmiri protesters, during a curfew in Srinagar (AP)

India's prime minister has called an emergency meeting to discuss the escalating violence in Kashmir amid anti-India protests that have left at least 28 people dead in clashes with authorities.

The protests erupted over the weekend after Indian troops killed the popular young leader of Kashmir's largest rebel group which has been fighting against Indian rule in the Himalayan region since the 1990s.

Defying curfews and paramilitary troops and riot police on patrol, crowds of stone-throwing youths rallied in the main city of Srinagar and other places around the region on Tuesday. Separatist politicians, most of them under house arrest, extended a call for a general strike until Wednesday.

Police said on Tuesday that the death toll from the street violence had reached 28, after three young men died overnight. Most of those killed were teenagers and men younger than 26 from southern Kashmir, they added.

Doctors and government officials said they were struggling with a medical emergency after hundreds of civilians were admitted to hospitals with bullet and pellet wounds. At least 100 troops were also injured in the clashes.

Authorities appealed for calm a mid reported scuffles between law enforcement and hospital staff.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, having just returned from a four-nation tour in Africa, called a high-level government meeting on Tuesday to discuss how to calm the region and restore peace.

On Monday, authorities said they sent at least 2,000 more law enforcement troops to the mountainous region, where hundreds of thousands are already deployed on a permanent basis.

Indian officials also lifted a suspension on the annual Hindu pilgrimage to a mountain cave which draws about half a million people each year, and asked that law enforcement ensure the security of the pilgrimage.

Across Kashmir on Tuesday, shops were shut, businesses closed and mobile phone and internet services were suspended in parts of the region.

The violence is part of an ongoing conflict that dates back to 1947, when India and Pakistan gained independence but failed to agree on which country would get Kashmir. The two countries have fought two of their three wars over their rival claims to the mostly Muslim region, while each currently administers a part of it.

On the Indian side, many of the 12 million residents resent the Indian troop presence and back rebel demands for independence or a merger with neighboring Pakistan. Since the 1990s, more than 68,000 people have been killed in Kashmir's uprising against Indian rule and the subsequent Indian military crackdown.

In an unprecedented outpouring of support for the rebel cause, tens of thousands of Kashmiris defied a curfew to attend the funeral on Saturday of rebel leader Burhan Wani, who was killed by Indian forces in a gun battle on Friday night.

Wani, in his early 20s, had become the face of Kashmir's militancy, using social media to rally supporters and reach out to other youths like him who had grown up while hundreds of thousands of Indian armed forces have been deployed across the region.

On Monday, Pakistani Foreign Secretary Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry expressed concern over the killings of Wani and civilian protesters, telling the Indian high commissioner that the use of force against peaceful protesters was a human rights violation and that the killings should be investigated, according to a statement.


Press Association

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News