Gunman found dead after one killed, two hurt in factory shooting siege
A gunman who killed one person and wounded two others inside a western Sydney business was found dead inside the building after a six-hour stand-off on Monday, Australian police said.
Heavily armed officers moved into the sign-making business after spending hours positioned around the factory in an industrial area of Ingleburn, a suburb 25 miles (40km) south-west of Sydney.
Once inside, they found a 33-year-old man dead of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound, said New South Wales Police Detective Inspector Mark Brett.
Officers also found three other people hiding inside the building and escorted them outside, Mr Brett said. It was not clear whether they had been held inside by the gunman or had been hiding while they waited for the siege to end.
Police were called to the business after receiving reports of gunfire. When they arrived, they found three men suffering gunshot wounds. One, a 43-year-old, died at the scene, and two others were taken to hospital for treatment.
Police do not know what prompted the shooting, Mr Brett said. He would not say how long the suspected gunman had been dead, or whether police negotiators had been in contact with him at any point during the stand-off. He also declined to specify what kind of firearm was used, beyond saying it was a "long-arm weapon".
One of the shooting victims was undergoing surgery, while the other had superficial wounds to the lower part of his body, Mr Brett added.
The siege brought the suburb of Ingleburn to a standstill throughout the day. Staff at nearby businesses were told to stay inside and roads were blocked off in the area.