Friday 19 January 2018

Freddie Gray officer acquitted on all charges in custody death case

Officer Edward Nero was acquitted of all charges in his trial in Baltimore (AP)
Officer Edward Nero was acquitted of all charges in his trial in Baltimore (AP)

A police officer has been acquitted of assault and other charges in the arrest of Freddie Gray, who died in custody in Baltimore.

The acquittal is a serious blow to prosecutors attempting to hold police accountable for the young black man's death from injuries he suffered in the back of a police van.

A judge also found officer Edward Nero not guilty of reckless endangerment and misconduct in office, saying he acted as any reasonable officer would and only touched Mr Gray after he was in handcuffs.

As the verdict was read, Mr Nero dropped his head down and his lawyer placed a hand on his back. The court room was quiet. When the judge said he was not guilty, Mr Nero stood up and hugged his lawyer and appeared to wipe away a tear.

"The state's theory has been one of recklessness and negligence," Baltimore Circuit Judge Barry Williams said. "There has been no evidence that the defendant intended for a crime to occur."

The assault charge carried a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and reckless endangerment carried a punishment of up to five years.

Mr Gray died on April 19 2015, a week after his neck was broken in the back of a police transport van while he was handcuffed and shackled but left unrestrained by a seat belt.

Mr Nero, who is white, was one of six officers charged in the case. He waived his right to a jury trial, opting instead to argue his case before judge Williams. A jury trial for Officer William Porter late last year ended in a hung jury when the panel could not reach a decision on manslaughter and other charges. Porter is black.

Mr Gray's death set off more than a week of protests followed by looting, rioting and arson that prompted a city-wide curfew. His name became a rallying cry in the growing national conversation about the treatment of black men by police officers.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said in a statement that Mr Nero will still face an administrative review by the police department.

"We once again ask the citizens to be patient and to allow the entire process to come to a conclusion. In the case of any disturbance in the city, we are prepared to respond. We will protect our neighbourhoods, our businesses and the people of our city," she said.

About a dozen protesters gathered outside the courthouse as the verdict was read, but they appeared peaceful in the moments after learning the verdict. The number of media far outnumbered the demonstrators.

On the morning of April 12 2015, Mr Nero, Officer Garrett Miller and Lieutenant Brian Rice were on patrol in Baltimore's high-crime area of the Western District when Rice made eye contact with Gray and he ran away.

Rice called for backup, and Miller and Mr Nero responded. According to testimony, Miller, who had jumped off his bicycle, caught up with Mr Gray and placed him in handcuffs.

Mr Nero's lawyer, Marc Zayon, said Mr Nero touched Mr Gray to help him up from the ground after he had been handcuffed and was asking for an inhaler.

Mr Gray was placed in the back of the transport van, seated on the wagon's bench.

A few streets away the van stopped, and Rice and Miller took Mr Gray, who police said had been kicking, screaming and shaking the van, out of the wagon, placed him in leg irons and replaced his metal cuffs with plastic ones. The officers, with Mr Nero's help, loaded Mr Gray back into the van, sliding him into the compartment on his belly and head-first.

That was the second and last time Mr Nero touched Mr Gray, his lawyer said during the trial.

Miller gave evidence that he alone arrested Mr Gray, and the judge said he believed him.

Prosecutors said the officers should never have arrested Mr Gray without first patting him down to determine whether or not he was armed and dangerous. In failing to do so, the officers violated the rules for a routine stop. Without probable cause, Mr Gray never should have been taken into custody, they said.

The judge disagreed.

"This court does not find that the defendant detained Gray without probable cause," Judge Williams said.

The other officers, two white and two black, are set to each have separate trials over the summer and into the autumn. They have pleaded not guilty.

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News