Executives to be named in newspaper hacking scandal
THE names of the 'News of the World' executives who told the private investigator Glenn Mulcaire to hack the mobile phones of prominent figures are due to be revealed next week, as a result of legal action taken by the comedian and actor Steve Coogan.
Mulcaire has lost an appeal against a court order secured by Coogan that requires him to name the newspaper figures who told him to listen to the voicemails of the Australian supermodel Elle MacPherson and five other people, including Simon Hughes, deputy leader of the Liberal Democrats.
Coogan's lawyers believe that the release of the names will demonstrate that there was widespread knowledge and authorisation of phone hacking among the defunct Sunday newspaper's senior figures.
In a separate development yesterday, the former 'News of the World' feature writer Dan Evans (35) was arrested and held for questioning on suspicion of conspiring to intercept voicemails. Mr Evans, who was suspended by the newspaper in April last year, was bailed until October.
Mr Evans was suspended by the paper after the interior designer Kelly Hoppen, who is stepmother to actress Sienna Miller, brought a damages claim alleging that he tried to hack into her voicemails in June 2009. The paper and lawyers for the journalist have said no evidence was found to support Ms Hoppen's claims. It is thought that Scotland Yard arrested the journalist over separate phone-hacking allegations.
Mulcaire, who was jailed in 2007 after pleading guilty to hacking the phones of members of the royal household for the 'News of the World', must now also reveal who authorised the hacking of phones belonging to Max Clifford, the celebrity PR guru, football agent Sky Andrew, Gordon Taylor, head of the Professional Footballers' Association and Jo Armstrong, a legal adviser to the body.
Mulcaire challenged a February court order instructing him to release the names. It has also emerged that Justice Toulson declined to give Mulcaire leave to appeal the order.
Mulcaire is also resisting a separate order to identify the executive who told him to access Coogan's phone. But the investigator's stance may have changed as he is now suing News International over unpaid legal fees in respect of the civil cases in which he is a defendant. The company had paid Mulcaire £246,000 (€281,739) in fees but the payments were halted last month. (© Independent News Service, London)