A woman's two-gallons-a-day Coca-Cola habit "probably contributed" to her death, experts concluded yesterday.
Natasha Harris, a 30-year-old mother of eight, from Invercargill, New Zealand, died of a heart attack in 2010. A pathologist from the coroner's office said she probably suffered from hypokalemia, or low potassium, caused by excessive consumption of Coke and poor nutrition.
Ms Harris's partner said she drank up to 2.6 gallons (10 litres) of regular Coke every day, ate little and smoked 30 cigarettes a day.
A spokeswoman for the soft-drinks giant said its products were safe and said even water could be deadly in excessive amounts.