Monday 18 December 2017

UK court demands names of phone-hack journalists

Glenn Mulcaire, ex-managing editor of the News of the World Stuart Kuttner and chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck who, along with five other people, are to be charged over phone hacking, the Crown Prosecution Service said today.
Glenn Mulcaire, ex-managing editor of the News of the World Stuart Kuttner and chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck who, along with five other people, are to be charged over phone hacking, the Crown Prosecution Service said today.

James Cusick in London

The names of senior journalists at the News of the World (NOTW) who commissioned private investigator Glenn Mulcaire to hack phones must be handed to police, the High Court ruled yesterday.

The order by Mr Justice Vos means Scotland Yard will have full access to Mulcaire's witness statement in the case brought against him and the now defunct newspaper by Nicola Phillips, a former assistant to the PR consultant Max Clifford.

The ruling was made at a pre-trial hearing of the latest tranche of 50 civil actions filed against News International over phone hacking.

It follows the decision by the Supreme Court to refuse an appeal from Mulcaire, who claimed that revealing who hired him would amount to self-incrimination.

The Met Police's counsel, Jonathan Dixey, revealed that further charges against Mulcaire and others could follow.

Although Mr Justice Vos said that giving Mulcaire's witness statement to Scotland Yard would "not be duly unfair", he admitted it did contain "positive information" that may benefit current police investigations.

Executive

New charges were brought against Mulcaire by the Crown Prosecution Service last week in a list that included: the NOTW's former news editor, Greg Miskiw; the former head of news Ian Edmondson; and the former news editor and chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck.

News International's former chief executive, Rebekah Brooks, and the paper's former editor, Andy Coulson, were also charged.

Ms Phillips began her legal battle against NI and Mulcaire in May 2010.

She claims voice messages left by her clients during the time she worked for Mr Clifford were unlawfully hacked.

Although her case was one of the first brought against Rupert Murdoch's company, she has still to settle.

In a separate development yesterday, Nick Parker (51), the chief foreign correspondent for 'The Sun' newspaper became the eighth person to be arrested by the Met's Operation Tuleta probe into computer hacking and privacy breaches. (© Independent News Service)

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News