Monday 18 December 2017

Two young boys die in house fire in England

The rear of the house in Alder Street, Huddersfield, where two boys believed to be aged two and three have died after a house fire
The rear of the house in Alder Street, Huddersfield, where two boys believed to be aged two and three have died after a house fire
The house in Alder Street, Huddersfield, where two boys believed to be aged two and three have died after a house fire
Officers are investigating

Two boys believed to be aged two and three have died after a house fire in Huddersfield.

A woman and another child were able to escape from the property in Alder Street before emergency services arrived at the scene.

The house in Alder Street, Huddersfield, where two boys believed to be aged two and three have died after a house fire
The house in Alder Street, Huddersfield, where two boys believed to be aged two and three have died after a house fire
The rear of the house in Alder Street, Huddersfield, where two boys believed to be aged two and three have died after a house fire

West Yorkshire Police were called to the address shortly before 2.15pm on Saturday to reports of people trapped inside.

Fire crews removed the two toddlers from the house, but they were pronounced dead a short time later.

Enquiries into the cause of the fire continue, but it is not believed to be suspicious at this time.

According to reports, the fire service has said the house did not have a working smoke alarm.

Local Labour councillor Amanda Pinnock, who was leafleting in the area on Saturday, said the community was in shock.

"It's a tragedy," she said. "It's a very close-knit area in Fartown.

"Because of the area, everybody knows everybody.

"They will be shocked by what has happened.

"I feel like I am in shock."

She urged people to get a smoke alarm and to check them regularly.

"The fire service will come and fit them for free," she said. "It's crucial people get them."

Chris Kirby, group manager at West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said firefighters battled to rescue the boys.

He told the Huddersfield Examiner: "Our crews worked very quickly to find the fire and extinguish it.

"They then performed rescues on the boys, who had suffered significant smoke inhalation."

Mr Kirby said the crews involved had "tears in their eyes" afterwards, and the tragedy will affect them.

He added that crews will visit the neighbourhood to speak to residents about the importance of having smoke alarms.

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News