Sunday 17 November 2019

Two unarmed female police officers shot dead on the street

Fiona Bone
Nicola Hughes
Dale Cregan

TWO female police officers have died after being gunned down while on routine patrol.

Fiona Bone, 32, and Nicola Hughes, 23, were on patrol in the Mottram district of Greater Manchester when they were shot.

Shortly after the incident Dale Cregan, 29, who was being sought in connection with a gun and grenade attack in the city, walked into a police station and was arrested on suspicion of murder.

It is understood that a number of shots were fired during the incident and a grenade was also detonated.

The shooting took place on the Hattersley Estate in Mottram, which is where Moors Murderer Ian Brady lived in the 1960s.

Cregan was wanted for questioning in connection with the death of David Short, who died in a gun and grenade attack at his home in August.

He was also wanted for questioning in connection with the death of David Short’s son Mark, who was killed earlier this year in a shooting.

Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan, said: "It is with great sadness that we announce the death of a second police officer following an incident in Tameside this morning.

"A long and dark shadow has been cast across Greater Manchester and my thoughts are with the officers' family, friends and colleagues. We will be doing everything we can to support them over the coming days and weeks."

A spokesman for the force said: "The two female police officers, who were unarmed, suffered serious injuries and one officer tragically died at the scene. Medical teams were quickly on the scene to provide treatment and armed response vehicles have secured the area."

The spokesman added: "A short time later, 29-year-old Dale Cregan was arrested after he walked into a police station in Tameside. Cregan has been arrested on suspicion of two counts of murder in relation to the investigations into the murders of David Short and Mark Short. He has also been arrested on suspicion of the murder of a police officer."

British Home Secretary Theresa May said: "This is a deeply shocking incident and a terrible reminder of the risks that police officers face every day to keep our communities safe.

"My thoughts are with the families of the officers and their colleagues at Greater Manchester Police."

Mr Short was killed in the Clayton area of Manchester on 10 August.

His son Mark died in May after being shot in the neck at the Cotton Tree pub in the Droyslden area of the city.

Police had warned members of the public not to approach Cregan but contact officers if he was spotted.

Extra police officers, including specialist firearms officers were drafted in to the area while the hunt for Cregan continued.

There was also a £50,000 reward offered for information leading to the arrest of Cregan and an alleged accomplice.

Earlier this month, huge images of Cregan were broadcast at a Manchester City football match in the hope of someone coming forward with information.

Speaking earlier this month, Assistant Chief Const Steve Heywood said: "We have got an awful lot of armed police on the street of Droylsden and Clayton and that will continue. There will be an awful lot of visits to his friends and family, they will continue.

“What I would like to do is get to a safe resolution where Cregan understands that he has a number of options to consider and he needs to take one of those."

By Martin Evans

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News