Two men freed after incident sparked panic in London
Two men who handed themselves in to police over an incident that sparked a mass evacuation at a London Tube station have been released without being arrested or charged.
British police are investigating whether any offence was committed after panic erupted in the packed Oxford Circus station on Friday.
Several people were injured and nine were taken to hospital, including one with leg injuries, while armed police raced to the scene after receiving 999 calls reporting that shots had been fired.
Two men, aged 21 and 40, were quizzed on Saturday after attending a police station voluntarily, following a media appeal, in which police said the incident was believed to have started when an altercation erupted on the platform.
"There are no criminal proceedings against them," a spokeswoman for the force said.
Officers are still trawling through CCTV footage and speaking to witnesses in an attempt to make sense of what happened, but no further suspects are being sought.