THE MAN who went on a shooting spree in a Toulouse Jewish school may have recorded his crime with an extreme sports video camera strapped to his chest - equipment suggested by Norwegian killer Anders Behring Breivik.
The unidentified man thought to have been behind three recent shootings, including Monday's killing of three children and a teacher at the school in southwestern city of Toulouse, may want to post his footage on the internet.
"A witness saw a small video camera around the killer's neck," Claude Gueant, the French interior minister, told Europe 1 radio on Tuesday.
"It's a video camera worn in a harness on the chest and indeed he was seen, a witness said so, with this device," Gueant said. "I don't know if he filmed everything."
Hands-free video cameras by manufacturers such as GoPro and Contour shoot HD video on memory cards with a wide-angle lens and excellent depth of field, allowing for objects near and far to remain in focus.
They can be mounted on helmets or chest harnesses, usually to film skiing, mountain biking, scuba diving or skydiving.
Norwegian Breivik, who last July went on a shooting spree that killed 77 people, mostly children, advised anyone wanting to carry out copycat killings to film their attack using such a camera.
"This extremely small and lightweight field camera is used to document your operation," Behring Breivik wrote in an online manifesto published shortly before he went on the rampage.
"4GB is equivalent to 2 hour of constant filming. I've personally tested it and it works great."
"Some governments may seize the movie (after you are neutralised) and publish it while others may bury it or even destroy it to protect the multiculturalist ideology," Breivik wrote.
The gunman is also believed to be behind the killing - with the same gun - of three paratroopers last week.
One possible angle in the case is that of three paratroopers who were kicked out of a regiment near Toulouse in 2008 for suspected neo-Nazi activity. One of the three men has reportedly visited a police station in Toulouse to be questioned.
He appears to be "someone who is very cold, very determined, very in control of himself, very cruel," Mr Gueant said.
Mr Gueant said the video footage was being recorded "either to be watched or to be broadcast."
French police have been scouring the internet for the killer's footage, but Mr Gueant said no trace had been found by Tuesday morning.
Norwegian investigator Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby said on Tuesday that no Breivik footage had ever been found.
"He intended to film (his killing) but we never found a trace of a camera," he said.
FRANCE was on the highest level of security of security alert today and its presidential campaign on hold after a serial killer coldly shot dead three Jewish children and a teacher in the worst attack on a school the country has known.